Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Old House

So as promised, I'm going to start posting photos of the Old House (vacant home previously mentioned here)

The Old House is a 200 year old, solid brick home that's owned by my family, and currently (for the last 12 years) under restoration.

Not very pretty yet, but trust me, it's going to be gorgeous someday....someday.
So far we've 
  • Lowered the once brick basement floor by 2 feet, and turned it into a concrete floor. 
  • Replaced all the windows with old fashioned glass and frames
  • Replaced the roof (though it's going to need to be done again soon)
  • Put in a tile floor in the bathroom, as well as replacing the toilet and shower
  • Framed out a new wall (we're putting in a second bathroom upstairs)
  • Plastered ALL of the walls
  • Put in a fireplace in the kitchen (something that was originally there for baking and such)
I could go on forever listing all of the projects we have going, but the main thing we're working on right now is the floors.
We have the entire living room floor ripped up right now. 
My Uncle is putting down the sub-flooring today, and then we're going to put the original floor boards on top

I'm excited about the floors. We're trying to restore them the best we can, and use as many original materials 
We're not sure exactly how they're going to turn out yet, they may be dark, or they may be light..but either way, I think the character that old wood floors have is very pretty. Check out some of these beautiful old floors. I hope ours turn out just as well. 




1 comment:

  1. I like the house. I bet it will look really nice when its done.

    ReplyDelete