Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Taste of Exotic

I decided that I need to try more things. Foods specifically. I'm going to start cooking more, making a larger variety of foods, and trying new recipes. As a sort of kick-off to this new resolution, I went out and bought some of the weirdest fruits at the grocery store to try.

I chose three different kinds.



                                         1. Rambutan
Clearly a very strange looking fruit. Just wait. 
Opening this fruit is actually really easy. You just find the seam..
..and pop it open.
I think it looks like an eyeball inside, and there's very little flavor to it. My mom thought it just tasted like a peeled grape.
There's a big seed inside, so watch out when you bite into it.

2. Star Fruit
Now I'm sure you must have heard of this one. It's not quite uncommon, but I'd never tried one before.
To cut it, first you cut the green (or sometimes brown) edges off of each point of the star.
Then you just slice it up into little star slices.
Make sure you pick the seeds out.
This one was by far my favorite of the three that I tried.

3. Prickly Pear
This is literally the fruit from a cactus, and definitely the most annoying to prepare. 
I would recommend wearing gloves when you cut this. Though it may not look very cactus-like, there are tiny invisible needles that get in under your skin. Very. Annoying. 
So first you cut off the ends
..and then slice down the side of the fruit. Just peel the skin right off. 

As you can see, there are a ton of little seeds inside.
The seeds are okay to eat, but they're a little too hard to bite for my liking. 
Supposedly this fruit is supposed to taste like bubblegum and watermelon. Though it's not super flavorful, it definitely does have a hint of watermelon to it. Since it was kind of boring to eat though, and there were waaaay to many seeds to avoid, I ended up putting it in the blender and turning it into juice. I mixed it with berry lemonade to make it less thick, and then used a sieve to filter out the seeds and extra pulp. 

It wasn't bad as a juice
My mom and I did decide though that what it really needed was to have some Sprite mixed in. That would have made a pretty darn good drink. 

In the end though, after trying all of these new things, I finished up with a nice, normal, familiar Kiwi.

Yum..

No comments:

Post a Comment